If you have an online presence and promoting a product or service to make money, the last thing you want is to have a web host that charges more than you can afford. In this age of intense competition, cheap HTML hosting is the order of the day as more and more websites come up and web hosting companies vie with each other to grab their attention. This is beneficial for site owners as they are getting efficient and reliable services at down to earth prices. However, trying to identify the web host that is ideal for one’s requirements can prove to be a tough job especially when all of them seem to be offering similar services at affordable rates.
This is one of the most common questions that I get from people who are looking to buy a new computer, should they get the 64 bit version of Windows or the 32 bit. To make this long story short, if you are looking to run over 4GB of RAM in your computer then you will need the 64 bit version, if you do not care about the amount of memory then I would stick with the 32 bit version.
Note that for most people 4GB of RAM will be more than enough to run all of their applications, also remember that having more memory does not mean that your computer will run faster, all it means is that your computer will be able to run more applications at the same time. If you are looking for more speed you can still benefit from running a 64 bit OS and hardware however I would look for a faster processor, for example anything with at least two cores running at 3.0 Gigahertz will give you excellent speed.
If you ask me (IT Professional)I would get me a computer with the 32 bit version of Windows (less compatibility issues), 4GB of RAM and a processor that runs at least at 3.0GHZ. This should be more than enough to play games, browse the Internet and do office work.
However we know that technology changes fast and even though these specs worked great a few years ago, now I would highly recommend that you get Windows 10 Home or Pro with 64 bit, also 8 GB of RAM and an SSD hard drive are a must! These specs will allow you to have a great Windows 10 experience at an affordable price.
To upgrade your computer to Windows 10 go the link below, always buy from trusted sources only, if you are paying a very low amount for your copy of Windows it is likely pirated, you can buy a legit copy of Windows 10 pro below:
Portable hard drives provide an amazing solution to a problem that most people have, transferring large amounts of data can be very expensive, most Internet providers can only give you so much bandwidth and if they give you more they will usually increase the monthly charge that you get, this makes it very difficult to backup your data or send large files over your network.
Now, when it comes to the storage in your laptop or desktop you are also very limited, most laptops or desktops do not even have a Terabyte of storage and this can be an issue since most computers will require larger amounts of space to store important Documents, Photos or Music.
I have always been a big fan of having multiple backups of your important data, I always recommend that you keep your files on your computers internal hard drive and I also recommend that you have a cloud based storage solution such as One Drive but I also highly suggest that you buy an external hard drive, this will give you the ability to make regular backups and be able to get access to your important files if your computer were to fail.
Here is a list of things to look for when buying an External Hard Drive
1. Only buy from a well known manufactures – eBay and Amazon have some good deals on External Hard Drives however I have seen over and over people getting scammed, there are a lot of sellers selling external hard drives that do not have the amount of storage that they advertised or the hard drives are defective, I would buy from a source that buys the hard drive directly from the manufacturer like TigerDirect, they buy directly from brand like Western Digital and the offer warranty on all of their hardware.
2. Look for a Solid State Drive – The old days of spinning hard drives are well over, an SSD provides with a tremendous benefit which is speed, they are also very inexpensive and provide good reliability, when looking for an External Hard Drive make sure that you are buying this type and not the old platen drives because you will be able to transfer files very fast, it is worth the small amount of money that you will pay.
3. Get as much hard drive space that you can afford – Many, many times I have purchase an External Hard Drive to find out that I did not buy one big enough, it is very easy to fill out your external hard drive so I would recommend that you buy a hard drive that is at least twice as big as your current computer internal hard drive, right now you can get a 2 Terabyte hard drive for a very affordable amount online and it will last you a while, also think about what future files or documents you’ll need to store., if you have a feeling that you will require way more storage than what it is currently available then investing in multiple external SSD hard drives is not a bad idea.
Your files and documents are very important and keeping a backup of them is key to protect yourself against a hard drive failing on your laptop or desktop, it also provides insurance against other threats like Malware or Ransomware, having a copy of your important document should be a part of your monthly computer maintenance and you will be really happy when you find out that you have a way to recover your data.
What is a keylogger and why you need to worry about your computer security
During the past few years, I have noticed an increased amount of keyloggers and phishing schemes developing which are affecting millions of computers every single day, people who develop these types of schemes have gotten better and better in crafting their emails so that you fall for their traps and end up with a compromised computer system, this is why you need to be aware of what is out there and you need to understand why these people spend so much time and money into tactics to steal your computer information.
What is a Keylogger?
First of all, lets talk about what a keylogger is, basically this is a type of application that records everything that you type using your keyboard, it is usually a very small application that you takes a few minutes to install and it is very hard to detect since it uses very low amount of system resources, the goal of a keylogger is to figure out what username and passwords you use , once they are able to catch your key strokes they store them and then they send them to the programmer over the internet.
The risk with this is huge, when a keylogger records all of the data that you type they can gain access to your bank account, tax information, social security and password to investment accounts, not to mention your credit card information and much, much more, they literally can find out everything about you, this is why you need to take action now and learn more about having a secure computer system and how to browse the Internet safely.
How to prevent a key logger from being installed
Computer security can be a very complex topic and it can be confusing for some people since there are a lot of ways that a hacker or spyware can get on your computer, these people spend millions of dollars and incredible amounts of time to develop applications to attack you, this is because it can be a very profitable business to do so, you as a computer user do not need to worry about hiring a cyber security team however there are some steps that you can follow to prevent an attack from happening to you..
5 things you can do to prevent your computer from being hacked.
1. Always keep your Operating System up to date – No matter if you use Windows, MAC or Linux (Chromebook) you always need to allow your computer to run updates, if for any reason your computer will not allow updates to run I would call a computer expert that you trust and have them see why your computer is not updating.
2. . Only install applications from the app store – Most people are used to going online and doing a search for their favorite applications and simply downloading them to their hard drives and installing them, while this can be somewhat safe there are still a lot of programs that are not really that secure, for this reason I highly recommend that you use the App Stores that are built into your Operating System, see most companies are spending a lot of time into building safe systems to allow you to safely download apps, Windows, Linux and MAC have their own app stores where they have taken the time make sure that the apps listed on their stores are safe to use, instead of going online use the app store that came with your OS.
3. Invest in a good Malware/Spyware program – So you probably spent a thousand dollars on your computer or more, you have built a library of music, you have your most valuable documents and pictures on your hard drive and all the sudden your computer gets hacked and you lose everything? Is this something that you think could happen to you? Well, it might! See, a lot of people still believe that there is no reason to pay for a solid Antivirus program however this is a very common mistake that causes people to lose their entire life because the do not invest $40 or $50 dollars in a solid application, as people say you get what you pay for and free is not always the best solution when it comes to your protection, there are many great companies like Malwarebytes that provide amazing value and security for a minimal amount, you having your computer hacked and your documents compromised is not worth saving the money, I highly recommend that you get a good antivirus for your computers so that they can monitor your business and home devices.
4. Be careful of unsolicited emails – One of the most common ways that people fall for phishing schemes is when they get an unsolicited message in social media or their email, just like in real life if you are walking by the street and someone approaches you to offer you something you have to be very careful when it comes to your email, it is very easy to open an email and see an offer that you just cannot resist and once you click on that link it is very possible to have your computer infected, always be very careful clicking or downloading things from an email, if someone sent you an email that requires action I would go to their website directly and login, no matter how urgent the email appears or how great of an offer, if a company emails you asking for you to click on a link to change a password I would not trust that, if it does not feel right go directly to the website and login there instead of following a link on the email.
5. Always have a backup plan – As you can see, there is no such thing as 100% risk free, in this world there is always a possibility of getting your computer compromised and this is why you always need to have a backup plan because it is possible of your computer getting hacked, you need to have some kind of insurance and for this you’ll need a way to insure that you will have access to your data in the even that something did go wrong, let’s start by creating a Backup of all of your documents and files, you can get an External Hard Drive on TigerDirect for very little money, I would recommend that you make a backup of your files once a month, I prefer creating full backups instead of incremental that way I have multiple copies of the same document but you can just do a incremental backup once a month. I recommend that you backup your Documents, Photos, Music and Desktop files. I would not worry much about your applications since you can always download those if you lost your computer. I would also keep an eye on all of your accounts, specially banking and I would change your password every 90 days, this will ensure that your passwords are never the same across accounts and they are they constantly updated.
As you can see, cyber security and malware attacks can be a big threat for you, getting hacked can not only put in risk your documents and photos but it can also affect your wallet, earning more about this topic and investing in your home and business security is worth the money, the losses that you can prevent by following some simple guidelines will be worth the time that you put into it,, follow the stops above and you have a higher chance of avoiding a big headache in the future.
If you have any more questions or want to learn more feel free to ask by leaving a comment, I will be more than happy to help you!
Have you ever noticed that just doing some of the most basic tasks on your computer takes a long, long time? When you load a website or when you open a spreadsheet it takes you twice the amount of time that it used to. Maybe you decided to go online and learnt tips on how to perform a system restore or reset your computer to factory defaults and it still runs very slow? Well, it might be time to upgrade your computer, if you have had the same computer for more than 3 years I highly recommend that you upgrade it and buy a new computer.
Now, you may ask yourself how can I save money when buying a new computer?
Well, let’s take a look why you need a new computer and why no matter what you do, your computer is very slow.
First of all, there is a good change that you have a spinning hard drive, which no matter what will cause your computer to slow down.
Also, if you have huge amounts of data, your computer will take time to load and run no matter how many times you perform a system restore.
Hardware with time also will become slow, your CPU fan and the thermal paste on your processor will be affected by heat, dust and vibrations, all of this will affect your computer performance, also websites and other software becomes more and more demanding as it gets updated, all of these factors will make your computer slow even if you try to perform factory resets, your computer will need to be upgraded.
Now, here is the fun part, you are ready to buy a new computer right? But how do you save money? Here are some useful tips to accomplish that.
1. No matter how cheap they are, do not buy used computers online. The main reason for this is because most of these computers will be outdated and slow like yours, in most cases buying any new computer no matter how low spec it is will perform better than any older computer.
2. Buy refurbished computers online, these are the computers that someone opened and used once and decided to return them, most retailers will factory certify these computers and offer warranties that are at the same level than new computers, I can usually find great deals on refurbished desktops and laptops on Tigerdirect.
3. Install your own upgrades, in most cases when you buy a new computer it will only come with a limited amount of hardware like RAM or Hard Drive. It is very easy to upgrade your computer RAM for a little amount of money or even replace its current hard drive with a faster Solid State hard drive, you can buy a low spec computer for very little and upgrade it’s components for a very low amount of money.
4. Do not pay for any extended warranties, no matter how much they pressure you to do that, usually the warranty offered by the retailer will be enough to see if the computer is in good shape or not, components now a days are very affordable and computers are very easy to fix, do not pay an extra amount no matter how much they scare you into buying it.
5. Build your own and install Linux on it, doing this not only will save you money but it will be an amazing learning experience, plus installing your very own operating system like Ubuntu will save you literally hundreds of dollars since Windows can be very, very expensive. Plus you will save yourself the headache of having to uninstall all of that bloatware and having to run antivirus software, you can build yourself a solid computer for a few hundred dollars that will perform better than most computers out there, plus you’ll learn about Linux and you’ll find out just how easy it is to use and how many applications work just as well as Windows and Office.
As you can see, buying a new computer can be a great experience, specially when you are saving yourself some money, there are a lot of options out there and it is a great way to learn more about technology as well, final word on what to do with your old computer, I would say do not get rid of it, use it as a backup computer or storage place where you can run it when you want to use it for tasks that do not require faster speeds, you can use it as a file server or a backup stations, if you feel like you need to get rid of it consider donating it to a school or church.